Sunday, January 24, 2010

Avatar


I don’t see every movie that comes out, nor have I ever written anything about the ones that I do see.  But tonight, I feel compelled to write something about the one I saw today. That move is Avatar. It was undoubtedly the most beautiful movie I’ve ever seen.

The plot was basic. It’s one that’s been used a million times before:

• Man meets woman under false pretences.
• Man and woman fall in love.
• Woman finds out why he is really there, and feels used.
• Woman dumps man.
• Man redeems himself by saving woman.
• Man and woman live happily ever after.

Of course there are only so many story lines to go around. Imagine the above plot, augmented with the stories from “Pocahontas” and “Dances with Wolves,” place the story in the most beautiful place imaginable, utilize the most amazing special effects ever, throw in a fair cast, some decent acting, and what do you get? You get a masterpiece! You get Avatar…

Oh yeah, let’s not forget that it’s in 3-D. I’m not a big fan of it, but in this case it wasn’t used as a gimmick. It added to the overall cinematic effect. It added to the beauty. I’ll be seeing it again soon.

Have you seen it? If so, what did you think of it?

5 comments:

  1. Hey Pat, glad to see that someone has seen this movie besides me. I have to agree with you on this movie. I have stated a few times after seeing Avatar that it is the best movie I've ever seen, and I have seen quite a few. From the connection the people have with their environment to the to the visual beauty of Avatar it was just an awesome ride. I will be taking that ride again real soon!

    Lennon Trotter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen it, however I learned this morning that one day this week James Cameron and some of the cast will be boarding the USS Eisenhower on station in the Middle East. They are holding an essay contest and several sailors will win the opportuntiy to have front row seats for a screening of the movie and a meet and greet with the cast. How cool is that !!!
    I will definately make a point to see the movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith and I loved it, especially the moral aspect of greed versus good. It was amazing cinematography! Keith had already taken a couple of our grandkids, and was ready to see it again with me. We will probably see it one more time in IMAX to get the full effect. James Cameron is a genius....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! It is now #1 on the all time money maker list. I wonder if it will sell many DVDs? I'm not sure it would be as good because the lushness of it may not come across.

    I haven't been as wowed by special effects since Jurassic Park came out... Or by the cinematography since the "cell." Not a great movie but the "dream" scenes were incredible. Have you seen that one? (jennifer lopez was the star). Yeah I know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did find the storyline really basic, but the effects were amazing. Danny and I just sat there in our 3D glasses saying, "wow" over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is word verification free.
IS YOURS?
I love your comments and will do my best to respond to each and every one.