Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Elephant Story

I really appreciate all the heavy reading being done on my blog lately. I'm going to continue to take it easy on all of you for a few more days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an Incredible story about an elephant's amazing memory.




In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University .

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air.

The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully.

He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a large splinter of wood deeply embedded in it.

As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

The elephant turned to face him and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments.

Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled.

Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away.

Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenage son.

As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were now standing.

The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down.

The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant.

Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing, and made his way into the enclosure.

He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder.

The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.


I'm thinking it probably wasn't the same elephant...




------------
thanks Diane

35 comments:

  1. Light reading? I should have had my coffee first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That was...I was all ready for the warm and fuzzy reunion and then...not so much. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! That's great! You got me with that one. I thought it was going to be something profound. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crud. Funniest thing I have read all week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grrr...I was already to be moved by this amazing story ... bond b/n man and creature.
    Way to go...:)
    Ya got me!
    hope your day is a great one...
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arggh...ya got me with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarahjayne - That's what happened to me also...

    Ren - Sorry! talk about a quick u-turn in emotions...

    TS - My pleasure!

    Cheeseboy - I thought so also.

    Meredith - Yup, that would hurt a bit...

    Dawn - I figured if I had to suffer through it, you all should as well. Thanks!

    Joe - Yeehaw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a RIOT! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. *SNORT*!!!!!!

    Ok, dude - you totally got me laughing out loud on this one!!

    LOVED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You fooled me you rascal! ROFLMBO

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one sadistic hilarious story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one sadistically $$#%ing funny story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, I thought it was going to be all warm and fuzzy... guess not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! Got me going there.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe Heck, Pat..... I was feeling all 'warm and fuzzy' about that sweet elephant. Darn!!!! That reminds me of TV shows where the ending is BAD.... Oh Well!!!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard this one before, but still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exactly what I needed to read today... Funny yet tragic.. darn, I laughed at someone death..Pat, you rascal...lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. you had me going there! Not the ending I was expecting

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I heard that one before I forgot it and I totally was not expecting that from you after all the Vietnam stuff I have been reading...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you should make this into a lovely children's book.

    And then give it to a child you just can't stand.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL Pat, I got this in an email and laughed my arse off then too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great story Pat! It reminds me of the one where the thorn i s taken out of the lion's paw and he is forever indebted to the man. What your story reminds us of is that animals and humans, though similar in many ways, are very different. Sometimes I think we make the mistake of thinking that animals and man think alike. Loved the ending..it made me laugh. Does that make me bad?

    ReplyDelete
  23. You little devil.. I almost fell
    for this one..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Man--I got a little Wiff of that one coming! Masterfully done Pat!!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  25. To combat your negative animal story, likely brought upon by general crotchetiness, here is this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNv2A4Kfx4k&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  26. RA - you are welcome!

    Minoccio - yeah!

    Marlene - me too

    dot - It got me also

    copyboy - thanks, it is pretty good

    Talli - no warm and fuzzy allowed

    Nat - good!

    Betsy - No fuzziness allowed

    BD - Me either

    Ms A - I wouldn't have been funny if it had a good ending

    Lynne - Don't blame me!

    baygirl - he had it coming for jumping the fence...

    Chuck - a little less intense!

    BB - That would be easy, I can't stand a lot of them

    Joan - Me too

    DrSoosie - You are so right. We love them and they want to eat us!

    faye - almost?

    John - all I did was type.

    Soft Nonsense - that was pretty cool. I bet they quit filming right before the lion ate them...

    ReplyDelete
  27. That totally caught me off guard. I did a double take and had to read it again. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG. That was so funny. I was looking forward to a reunion and shake of hands. Not the ending I expected. Loved this post, Pat!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. wauuuw, I really love the new photo in your banner/layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome.

    Suck on that, Precious Memories-lovers of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hilarious! Some people believe that elephants can bring luck to you, I love those animals "much-ly!"
    B

    ReplyDelete
  32. PTM - I've seen this one in slightly different forms a few times.

    Mr. Stupid - thanks! when man and wild animal try to co-exist, man is gonna eat it sooner or later

    myvisualillusions - Thanks! I need to change it up once in a while.

    The ID - no precious memory there, that's for sure...

    Betty - I like elephants also, I'm amazed at how delicate they can be with their feet and trunk...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is word verification free.
IS YOURS?
I love your comments and will do my best to respond to each and every one.