The trail, pier, and what is left of the little town of San Simeon, is now part of W.R. Hearst SP.
From the parking lot, you turn right at the base of the wharf.
At this point, the trail leaves the beach
Sometimes the trail gets a bit close to the cliff edge
and sometimes the trail erodes down the cliff
at the point
around the point
Initially, I couldn't see the steer on the right, and for a very tense second or two, I totally thought the one on the left was a bear!
- About four miles north on hwy 1, is the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery. Older posts here.
- About one mile further on hwy 1, is Piedras Blancas Light House.
- Hearst Castle is right across the road (hwy 1). I will post something on this place soon.
- About 7 miles south on hwy 1, is Moonstone Beach/Cambria (from my last post).
- Morro Bay/Morro Rock is about 30 miles south on hwy 1) also a must see. Old post here.
- The 150 mile coastline from here to Monterey is gorgeous. Further, the 25.-30 mile stretch in the Big Sur area, is quite possibly the most beautiful and rugged coastline in the country (if not the world). At this moment hwy 1 is closed in the Big Sur area due to a major landslide.