Monday, February 15, 2010

Two Days Later



It’s funny how things become part of the everyday fabric of our lives...

Batman always figured he knew when it was time for me to get up in the morning. It wasn’t always at the same time, but when the urge hit him, he’d meow loudly and directly, into my face from about 6 inches. If I turned my head the other way, he’d simply climb over me, and start again on the other side. Although I was never “overjoyed,” I never got mad at him, because he was just so darn serious about it. It was also funny because when he meowed like that, his mouth opened so big, that it looked like he was going to swallow his own head. Backwards!

Once I was up, he’d lead me out of the bedroom, down the stairs, and into the kitchen.  He would stop every few feet to turn his head and meow at me. He wanted food! For those of you who are old enough to remember, it reminded me of Lassie leading Timmy to rescue a neighbor, who had become stuck under a tractor, fallen down a well, or had some other random emergency.

In our spare room, there’s a folded up comforter sitting on a couch. For a couple of hours a day, the sun shines through a window, directly on the comforter. It was Batman’s favorite spot. He would stretch out and catnap in its warmth every day. He loved lying in the sun. Don’t get me wrong, he didn’t discriminate among sun splashes. He had a hard time passing by any of them without stopping for a quick nap. If there was another cat in it already, he’d just crowd them out. I walked by the room today and noticed his spot. His empty spot…

I avoided the room yesterday, but today I couldn’t stop myself from going in there and putting my hands on the sunny spot where he always hung out. It was nice and cozy. When I noticed that some of his fur was there, I about lost it.  I think the comforter will stay there for awhile. Just like his empty food dish will remain next to the others.

This may sound silly to some, but he taught me that an animal can get into and occupy a part of your heart, that humans have no access to.

10 comments:

  1. Completely understandable. Animals become such a part of our lives that they deserve a time of grieving as well. Very sweet story about the morning wakeups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great way of expressing things that touch my heart. I felt similar emotions when my dog, Nick, died. But I could never have written so eloquently about it. You are an author and should be published!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Toni,
    Such nice compliments!
    After a couple of sub-par entries, I took the advice of a friend and just started letting it flow again! LOL!
    It's sometimes a struggle though and I know I'm going to post some crap from time to time, because technically, I don't really know what I'm doing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how pet's KNOW!!!!! They know who they can control and who will wake up out of a dead sleep to get up and go downstairs to feed them!! Don't meow in my face before dawn, Batty Boy. This mom's rolling over and going back to sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my dog was gone, I kept a scrap of his favourite blankie and his favourite yellow ball. I think I still have them somewhere.

    "...an animal can get into and occupy a part of your heart, that humans have no access to."

    Very true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The folded up comforter is still in the same spot. His food bowl, is still in it's spot...

    The vet's office sent us a nice card and a fired clay disk with his footprints in it...
    that got us going for a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. deja view...your words are worthy

    Peace, hp

    ReplyDelete

This blog is word verification free.
IS YOURS?
I love your comments and will do my best to respond to each and every one.